Wednesday, March 23, 2016

AMIGO OF THE WEEK ~ Kenji Kuniyoshi


Kenji is a dedicated, long-time staff member at Amigos de Jesus.  Currently, he is in charge of the kitchen and of "Agro," the farmland at Amigos.  Kenji's varied talents, energy, and sense of humor make him an integral part of the Amigos family and organization.  

Name: Kenji Kuniyoshi

Hometown: Lima, Peru

Occupation: Kitchen and Agro (Farm) Coordinator

1) How did you hear about Amigos de Jesus?

I returned from a trip to Peru and was looking for another position, and I happened to see an advertisement for a position at Amigos de Jesus in the newspaper.  I had always worked with children and young people before, and I wanted something similar.  I had worked in places like Tela and La Esperanza, and I had hoped to find something closer to where I was living in La Paz; however, when I saw the ad for Amigos, I applied and was offered the position. 

2) How long have you been a part of the Amigos de Jesus family?

Since December of 2011.

3) Where did you go to university?

La Escuela Agricola Panamericana (The Panamerican Agricultural School), more commonly known as El Zamorano.  It's located about 30 kilometers from Tegucigalpa.  (It is also considered the best Agricultural School in Latin America).

4) Tell us about the different jobs you've had at Amigos de Jesus.

I started out as a padrino (caregiver) with the jovenes at the end of 2011.  In August of 2012, Amigos de Jesus became interested in becoming more self-sustainable in terms of food resources.  My degree is in agricultural engineering, specifically related to socioeconomic and environmental development, so because of this I was well-equipped to become the Agro Coordinator at Amigos.  I began projects related to growing corn and beans, and we started raising chickens for eating and cows for milking.  I actually initiated the purchase of the first two cows here.  In July of 2015, Amigos was looking for someone to be in charge of the kitchen and to build a greater connection between Agro and the kitchen.  Since this time I have been the coordinator for both the kitchen and Agro. 

5) What is your favorite part of your job?

I've always enjoyed working with youth, and I really enjoy working with the jovenes (young people)here.  I also enjoy being able to do things related to my profession, so I like spending time in Agro.  My family in Peru is in the restaurant business, so I enjoy cooking and being in the kitchen.  It can get a little stressful in the kitchen here at Amigos, cooking for 160 to 170 people at a time.  I like cooking for smaller groups of people.  Agro is a little less stressful!

6) Do you have a favorite story/memory about a child or youth here at Amigos?

I've always tried to treat all the kids equally and not have favorites.  But there are a number of kids that I've spent a lot of time with in Agro, boys like Juan, Alejandro, Hugo, and Angel David.  They like being on the farm as much as I do, and I've been able to teach them things.  So obviously I have a lot of affection for them. 

7) What do you hope for the future of Amigos de Jesus?

I like the way we've been trying to have the dorms become more like homes, with kids of mixed ages living in the same home and eating meals together at the table like a family.  I would like to see us continue to work on having better structured households.  I also want us to continue to focus on helping the jovenes, especially in terms of helping them achieve success educationally so that they can go on to be successful working adults.  To me that has always been an indicator of success, that a youth graduates, goes out and finds a job, and moves forward through the door toward adulthood. 






No comments:

Post a Comment